Barbara Reuer, PhD, MT-BC, is known internationally for her expertise in music-centered wellness and music therapy. A graduate from the University of Iowa, she is Founder and Director of MusicWorx, a consulting agency based in San Diego, CA, and has more than 35 years of clinical experience in schools, convalescent facilities, retirement homes, hospices, medical and psychiatric hospitals, corrections facilities, substance abuse and eating disorders programs, health spas, as well as teaching at community colleges and universities. More recently, she has established Resounding Joy, Inc., a non-profit organization to provide supportive and healing music environment for adults and children who are homebound or have special needs.
Major areas of Dr. Reuer’s current professional involvement are in the area of music therapy program and job development in San Diego County including an international music therapy internship program. In addition to her clinical work, she provides workshops and seminars (wellness, community building, stress management and pain management) nationally and internationally for health care professionals, educators and corporate clients. She has authored and co-authored several books and articles. Public notice of her work extends from recognition in publications to the Lifetime network show, New Attitudes, and the UCSDTV Health Matters: Music and the Mind. She has been interviewed in print media and television at the local, national and international levels.
Dr. Reuer is a 2008 Southern California Cancer Pain Initiative Awardee for excellence in pain management. She has served as President of the National Association for Music Therapy and is recipient of the American Music Therapy Association’s national Professional Practice Award in 2000 and the Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008. In 2006, she was awarded by her peers the Betty Isern Howery Award, at the Western Regional AMTA conference, the highest award for professional contribution in the field of music therapy in the region.
- Find the show here to listen live or to the archives. You can also subscribe in iTunes.
- The Music Therapy Show airs live on Fridays at Noon eastern/11 am Central/10 am Mountain/9 am Pacific/1700 GMT
- Social Media Advocacy Month: Universal Musicare (heartbeatmusictherapy.net)
- Social Advocacy Month: Creating Music Therapists (heartbeatmusictherapy.net)
- Social Media Advocacy Month (heartbeatmusictherapy.net)
- Music Therapy in Canada (heartbeatmusictherapy.net)
- The Music Therapy Show with Barbara Wheeler (heartbeatmusictherapy.net)