The Music Therapy Show with Janice Lindstrom
- The Music Therapy Show with Janice Lindstrom is a discussion about what music therapy is and how to use it in your life. It is designed for Music Therapists looking for new ideas and people looking to use music to enhance their capabilities through the planned use of music on human brain functioning.
- Airs on Blog Talk Radio every other Friday at 1:00 pm Central.
Music Therapy Advocacy
- Texas State Task Force Member, 2011- present
- Radio Interview: Wellness for the REAL World “Can Music Heal?”, February 9, 2011
- TV Interview: Using music to promote rehabilitation and development and to decrease stress in children, Channel 33 News at 9:00 p.m., November 11, 2001
- Newspaper Article:, “Good Vibrations: Music therapy has coaxed promising responses from patients with communication disorders, severe pain and neurological conditions” by Carolyn Poirot, Fort Worth Star Telegram, January 10, 2001
- TV Interview: Music therapy and a celebrity volunteer at Our Children’s House at Baylor, Channel 5 News at 5:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m., July 13, 2000 (re-aired March 25, 2001)
- TV Interview: Music therapy at Our Children’s House at Baylor, Channel 8 News “HealthSource with Dr. Winter,” January 3, 2000
- State Legislature Testimony: Texas House of Representatives and Senate Committee meetings to advocate for appropriate language regarding music therapy in HB 1643, Austin, TX, March 2, 1999 & April 27, 1999
- Article: “Neurologic Music Therapy Institute,” SWAMTA publication, Red River Valley, Winter 2001.
- Book Review: Taylor, D. B. (1997). Biomedical Foundations of Music as Therapy. Saint Louis: MMB Music, Journal of Music Therapy, Volume 37, pages 235-236
- Article: “An Untapped Avenue,” an article about the necessity of goal-directed music therapy, Red River Valley, Summer 1997
Southwestern Region of the American Music Therapy Association (SWAMTA)
- Member since 1991
- Elected to serve on the Board of Directors as President Elect, 2007-2009; President, 2009-2011; and Immediate Past President, 2011-2013, and AMTA Assembly Delegate 2007-2011
- Elected Vice President, 2005-2007
- Appointed Continuing Education Director, 2003-2006
- Elected to the AMTA Assembly, 2003-2005
- Elected Assembly Delegate Representative to the Board of Directors, 2003-2005
- Elected Secretary of SWAMTA, 1997-1999, and 2001-2003
- Served on the local conference committees for the 2000, 2001, 2003, and 2014 conferences
- Served on the Historical/Archive Committee, 2000– 2003
American Music Therapy Association (AMTA)
- Member since 1992
- Appointed Chair of Music Therapy Clinical Self-Assessment Guide Task Force, 2009-2010
- Appointed Co-Chair, Continuing Education Committee, 2006-2007
- Assembly Delegate, 2003-2005, 2007-2011
Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT)
- Certification number *04722
- Granted designation of Music Therapist – Board Certified in recognition of professional competence in clinical music therapy and having met the standards established by the Certification Board for Music Therapists, Inc. (CBMT) January 1, 1996 – December 31, 2000
- Recertified January 1, 2001 – December 31, 2005
- Recertified January 1, 2006 – December 31, 2010
- Recertified January 1, 2011 – December 31, 2015
- Appointed to Continuing Education Committee, 2009-2011, 2011-2013
- Guitars and Granola Bars: Music Therapists Talk Motherhood Episode 1
- Panelist at a showing of Alive Inside in Dallas, TX
American Music Therapy Association (AMTA) Conference
- Concurrent Session: “I’ve Graduated…Now What? Skills to Pursue Your Dream Job,” Louisville, KY, November 9, 2014.
- CMTE Course: “Music Therapy & the Brain,” St. Charles, IL, October 11, 2012.
- Concurrent Session: “Leadership 101: Easy Steps to Become a Music Therapy Leader,” Atlanta, GA, November 19, 2012.
- Concurrent Session: “Private Practice: When to Terminate for Personal Safety and Well Being,” St. Louis, MO, November 21, 2008.
- Concurrent Session: “Music Therapy and Wellness,” Louisville, KY, November 16, 2007.
Southwestern Region of the American Music Therapy Association (SWAMTA) Conferences
- Concurrent Session: “Economical Options for Recertification Credits and Learn How to Track Recertification Status Online,” Oklahoma City, OK, March 28, 2015.
- Concurrent Session: “How to Use Psychodynamic Concepts in Biomedical Music Therapy,” Oklahoma City, OK, March 27, 2015.
- Concurrent Session: “Life After Internship: Lessons for the New Music Therapy Professional,” Oklahoma City, OK, March 27, 2015.
- Concurrent Session: “Let’s Start at the Very Beginning-Building a Music Therapy Program at UT Southwestern,” Dallas, TX, March 29, 2014.
- CMTE course: “Assessment,” San Antonio, TX, April 4, 2013.
- Concurrent Session: “The Secret to Successful Subcontracting and Other Private Practice Tips,” Houston, TX, March 23, 2012.
- Concurrent Session: “The 2011 Fifth Edition CBMT Recertification Manual: New Options and Opportunities,” Houston, TX, March 24, 2012.
- Founder, SWAMTA Book Club:
Dallas, TX, March 28, 2014: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
San Antonio, TX, April 5, 2013: Ethical Thinking in Music Therapy by Cheryl Dileo
Houston, TX, March 23, 2012: Transformation by Bill Phillips
Waco, TX, March 25, 2011: Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger’s by John Elder Robison
Amarillo, TX, March 26, 2010: Music as Soulmaking by Barbara Crowe
Austin, TX, March 27, 2009: Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks
El Paso, TX, March 28, 2008: Kevin & Me: Tourette Syndrome and the Magic Power of Music Therapy by Patricia Heenan
Dallas, TX, March 23, 2007: Animals in Translation by Temple Granden
San Antonio, TX, March 22, 2006: Music Therapy, Sensory Integration, and the Autistic Child by Dorita S. Berger
Oklahoma City, OK, April 8, 2005: Music and the Mind by Anthony Storr
Albuquerque, NM, April 2, 2004: The Secret Power of Music by David Tame
Houston, TX, April 5, 2003: Biomedical Foundations of Music as Therapy by Dale Taylor
- CMTE course: “From Young to Old: The Medical, Psychiatric, and Geriatric/Wellness Aspects of Music Therapy,” Austin, TX, March 26-28, 2009
- Concurrent Session: “Adaptive Music Lessons,” Austin, TX, March 26-28, 2009
- Concurrent Session: “Music Therapy and Wellness,” Dallas, TX, March 23, 2007
- CMTE course: “The Business of Music Therapy,” Albuquerque, NM, April 3, 2004
- Concurrent Session: “Introduction to Sound Healing: Alternative Medicine using Vibration and Frequencies,” Lubbock, TX, April 11-13, 2002
- CMTE course: “Music Therapy in Action,” discussing current trends in referral and assessment procedures, implementing program plans, and music therapy activities in pediatric rehabilitation and acute care, and adult psychiatric services in hospital settings, El Paso, TX, March 29-31, 2001
- Concurrent Session: “An Introduction to Neurologic Music Therapy,” El Paso, TX, March 29-31, 2001
- Concurrent Session: “Moving through the Tar Pits of Long-Term Care,” Amarillo, TX, April 1997
- CMTE Course: “Stop Burnout–Before It’s Too Late!” http://www.musictherapyed.com/courses/
Online Conference for Music Therapy
- Conference session: “Broadcasting Music Therapy,” Inaugural OCMT Conference, March 4, 2011
Lifetime Wellness, LTD.
- Continuing Music Therapy Education (CMTE) Course: “Music Therapy Assessment, Treatment Plans, Measurement, and Evaluation in Wellness,” Louisville, TX, December 14, 2007.
- Texas Health Presbyterian: “Music Therapy and Stroke,” Plano, TX, April 10, 2012
- Sacshe Day Care Providers Association: “Using Music in Daycare,” Sachse, TX, February 15, 2012
- Sigma Alpha Iota Kappa B Province Day: “Music Therapy & Wellness,” Dallas, TX, February 4, 2012
- Highland West Women’s Club: “What is Music Therapy?,” Dallas, TX, June 29, 2009
- Jewish Community Center: “Music Therapy,” Dallas, TX, April 27, 2006
- Austin Academy Honors Orchestra: “Music Therapy as a Career,” Garland, TX April 15, 2005
- Comprehensive Therapy Services: “Making Appropriate Music Therapy Referrals,” Dallas, TX, February 27, 2004
- Garland ISD special education teachers “Using Music in Special Education Classrooms,” Garland, TX, February 16, 2004
- Bill Priest Institute for Economic Development: “Introduction to Music Therapy in the Psychiatric Setting,” Dallas, TX, January 24, 2003
- Professional Panel at TWU School of Physical Therapy: “Role of the Music Therapist on the Health Care Team,” Dallas Presbyterian Campus, November 11, 2002; November 8, 2004
- Gulf Coast Music Therapy Meeting: “Neurologic Music Therapy Literature Review: Speech & Language Training,” Rise School, Houston, Texas, March 2002
- American Music Therapy Association Conference Scholar, November 2015
- Southwestern Region of the American Music Therapy Association Harmony Award-Service, March 2014, for many years of dedication by serving on the Board of Directors; formalizing policies, procedures, and officer roles; and leadership to ensure the vision of the Southwestern Region becomes a reality
- American Music Therapy Association Professional Practice Award, November 2014, for making a significant contribution to the profession of music therapy by producing and hosting The Music Therapy Show on BlogTalkRadio.com for over 5 years
- Sigma Alpha Iota Professional Development/Education Grant, November 2009
Education and Training
2008 – 2011 Performance Wellness Certificate Training Program
This training is designed to offer performers, educators, and therapists a deeper understanding of the implications of stress in performance, as well as practical tools for allowing the body-mind to become a more resilient “instrument” in the face of stressful situations.
- Level I – Introduction to Performance Wellness, completed 2008
- Level II – Mastering Performance Wellness/Teacher Training, completed 2009
August 2005 Center for Biomedical Research in Music Ft. Collins, CO-Fellow, Robert F. Unkefer Academy of Neurologic Music Therapy
- Successfully completed advanced training in standardized therapeutic application of Neurologic Music Therapy (NMT)
- Accepted as a Fellow in good standing of the Academy of Neurologic Music Therapy through 2010
1998 – 2001 Texas Woman’s University Denton, TX-Master of Arts in Music Therapy
- Thesis: The Effects of Developmental Music Play on Parent Confidence and Parent-Infant Interaction.
- Elected to Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges in recognition of outstanding merit and accomplishment as a student at Texas Woman’s University Graduate School 1999-2000.
October 2000 Center for Biomedical Research in Music Ft. Collins, CO-Third International Training Institute in Neurologic Music Therapy
- Successfully completed 30 hours of advanced training in standardized therapeutic applications of Neurologic Music Therapy (NMT) to sensorimotor, speech/language, and cognitive dysfunctions due to neurological diseases or injuries of the human nervous system.
1990 – 1995 Sam Houston State University Huntsville, TX – Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy
- Completed 1040 hours clinical internship at The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research, Houston, TX.
2015 – Present Southern Methodist University Adjunct Faculty Dallas, TX
- Introduction to Music Therapy Fall 2015
- Psychology of Music Fall 2015
2011 – Present Southern Methodist University Adjunct Faculty Dallas, TX
SMU Music Therapy Clinic and Practicum Supervisor
- Supervise music therapy students during pre-internship clinical training
- Maintain SMU Music Therapy Clinic client files
- Coordinate and plan clinic client schedulesSchedule and supervise off-campus practicum placement during Gerontology, Psychiatric, Medical, and Elective rotations
- Created practicum programs at UTSW Simmons Cancer Center, Christian Care Senior Living Community, The Family Place, International Rescue Committee, Hillier School, Parkland Hospital Psychiatric Unit, Presbyterian Village North
1998 – 2013 Private Practice Dallas, TX
- Created and lead Scents of Harmony music therapy sessions for Monticello West residents based on aroma therapy topics
- Lead group music therapy for older adults at Bentley Assisted Living
- Facilitated group music therapy for teachers and students at It’s A Sensory World, a school for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Provided individual music therapy sessions for children and adults with disorders in the Autism spectrum, cerebral palsy, seizure disorders, and other developmental and neurological disorders to increase functional motor, cognitive, speech/language, and psychosocial skills
- Completed functional and educational assessments to determine medical, functional, or educational necessity of music therapy in the home or school settings
- The Joyful Singers: Coordinated and facilitate a music performance group for adults with developmental disabilities for Social Competence Training and Musical Executive Functions Training
- Mosaic Bell Choir: Directed a bell choir performance group for adults with developmental disabilities
2009 – 2011 Consultant Dallas, TX
- Dallas Independent School District: Administered music therapy eligibility assessments using the Special Education Music Therapy Assessment Profile (SEMTAP)
2005 – 2009 Lifetime Wellness Dallas, TX
- Designed and maintained music therapy program for Lifetime Wellness
- Provided group and individual music therapy sessions with a focus on wellness
- Used music to address cognitive, communication, sensorimotor, and psychosocial needs of seniors
- Encouraged residents to actively take part in each session and facilitate positive changes in the behavior and well-being of the participants
- Educated staff on music therapy and how to make appropriate referrals
- Duties also included assessment; weekly documentation; attending staff and team meetings
- Interviewed, hired, trained, and managed music therapists for Lifetime Wellness
- Continuing Education Director for music therapists
2003 – 2006 PianoWorks Music Studio Lewisville, TX
Adaptive Music Teacher
- Taught guitar and piano lessons to adults and children with physical or developmental disabilities
- Designed adaptations for classical music curricula to accommodate learning or physical differences
2002 – 2005 Consultant Dallas, TX
- Garland Independent School District: Assessed current special education programs and recommended music therapy strategies and services. Provided music therapy groups focusing on social competence training for 21 special education classes. Designed music-based strategies for teachers to use independently in their classrooms. Completed comprehensive music therapy assessments to determine eligibility for music therapy as a related service.
- Dallas Center for Developmentally Disabled: Designed and implemented 7 music therapy groups for adults with various developmental disabilities and levels of functioning focusing on speech/language, cognitive, sensorimotor, independent living, and psychosocial skills.
October – December 2003 Arlington ISD Arlington, TX
Contract Music Therapist
- Provided individual music therapy sessions for elementary, middle school, and high school children in the special education setting with Autism and other developmental disabilities to address educational goals
- Completed comprehensive music therapy assessments to determine eligibility for music therapy as a related service
June – July 2003 The NOAH Project Plano, TX
- Received Son-Rise ™ training for working with children ages 3 – 15 years with disorders in the Autism spectrum.
- Designed a music therapy assessment consistent with the required documentation of insurance companies.
- Facilitated individual sessions with children with Autism to increase social interaction and language.
1999 – 2003 Our Children’s House at Baylor Dallas, TX
Music Therapist, PRN
- Provided individual and group music therapy sessions to address sensorimotor, speech/language, cognitive, or developmental goals for children ages 0-18 years diagnosed with traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, failure to thrive, developmentally delayed, Guillaine Barré, and other neurological disorders.
March-May 2002 Plano Independent School District Plano, TX
Contract Music Therapist
- Provided individual music therapy sessions for elementary, middle school, and high school children in the special education setting with Autism and other developmental disabilities to address educational goals.
- Completed comprehensive music therapy assessments to determine eligibility for music therapy as a related service.
January – May 2001 Children’s Medical Center Dallas, TX
- Provided individual and group music therapy sessions to address psychosocial and developmental goals for children ages 0-18 years on the hemodialysis, oncology, medical/surgical, intensive care, and gastrointestinal units at CMC, and the burn intensive care/acute care and neonatal units at Parkland.
1999 – 2001 Doctors Hospital Dallas, TX
Music Therapist, PRN
- Provided group music therapy sessions on the inpatient psychiatric unit for adults.
1995 – 1998 Veteran’s Affairs Medical Center Houston, TX
Music Therapy Consultant
- Conducted group music therapy session to address cognitive, social-emotional, and psychological goals on the geriatric psychology unit.
1995 – 1997 Comprehensive Therapies and Services Houston, TX
- Conducted group and individual music therapy session to address cognitive, social-emotional, and psychological goals in long-term care settings.
1995 – 1996 UltraStaff Houston, TX
- Provided music therapy services to The Institute for Rehabilitation and Research (TIRR) for patients with neurological disorders ages 5-75 years.
Service to Non-Music Therapy Organizations
2013 – 2015 Texas Winds Musical Outreach, Dallas, TX, Board of Directors
- Served on the Board of Directors for Texas Winds Musical Outreach, a non-profit organization that takes live music out of the concert hall and brings it directly to people who otherwise have little opportunity to experience it. Our professional musicians perform over 1,300 free concerts annually, reaching 55,000 people, from nursing home residents and hospital patients to disadvantaged children.
- Secretary for the Board of Directors, 2014-2015.
- Marketing and Development Committee, 2014-2015.
1992 – Present Member of Sigma Alpha Iota, International Music Fraternity
- Initiated into Beta Theta Chapter April 20, 1991
- Served as Alumnae Secretary (1992-1993) & Vice President for Ritual (1993-1994)
- Affiliated with Dallas Alumnae Chapter October 21, 2002
- Served as Vice President for Ritual (2007-2009) & Newsletter Editor (2013-2015)
- Received Sword of Honor (2009) & Chapter Service Award (2014)