On November 16, my 160th episode, Ming Yuan Low will tell us about Nordoff Robbins Music Therapy. Ming Yuan Low, MA, MT-BC is currently a Nordoff Robbins Music Therapy Level 1 certificate candidate at the Nordoff Robbins center in NYU. Before moving to NYC, Ming has worked as a music therapist for 2 years at a psychiatric health hospital in Denton and saw a few private clients through the auspices of Texas Woman’s University, where he also worked as a graduate assistant.
Ming received his BS in Music Therapy in 2009 and MA in Music in 2012, both from Texas Woman’s University. As a graduate assistant, he has supervised practicum students in several different settings and assisted in music therapy and music in world culture classes. His lectures focused primarily in clinical improvisation, functional/popular keyboard styles, and Chinese music culture. He also taught the experiencial portion of Music in World Cultures course, teaching students (music and non-music majors) Gamelan. At the spring of 2012, Ming presented at the South Western AMTA conference on peak experiences in music therapy and clinical improvisation.
He is an active performer, playing piano and keyboards in bands as well as a soloist for over 20 years. His most recent professional gig was the accompanist/keyboard 1 for Denton Community Theater’s production of Hairspray.
- Find the show here to listen live or to the archives. You can also subscribe in iTunes.
- The Music Therapy Show airs live on Fridays at Noon eastern/11 am Central/10 am Mountain/9 am Pacific/1700 GMT
- Music Therapy and Disaster Recovery (topmusictherapist.com)
- Early Childhood Music Therapy and Autism (topmusictherapist.com)
- Masters Level Entry Revisited (topmusictherapist.com)
- Music Therapy Webinars (topmusictherapist.com)
- Marketing and Technology for Music Therapy (topmusictherapist.com)
- How can you become a music therapist? (topmusictherapist.com)