John Mahoney is my guest this week. He is assistant professor of music therapy at SUNY New Paltz. He graduated from Hartt College of Music and went on to complete an MM at the Manhattan School of Music. Later, as a member of the faculty at MSM, he received the National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts Teacher Recognition Award. After two decades of work in settings ranging from Broadway theatre productions, to Grammy Award-winning recording studio work, to Monte Carlo, to Carnegie Hall, John eventually became interested in the possibilities inherent in music as a therapeutic medium and he attended New York University to complete a Masters Degree in Music Therapy. After earning postgraduate clinical certification in both the Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy and Analytical Music Therapy approaches, he joined the staff at the Nordoff-Robbins Music Therapy Center at NYU, where he works with children, adolescents, and adults. He has presented and taught nationally and internationally.
- Creative Music Therapy (topmusictherapist.com)
- Early Childhood Music Therapy and Autism (topmusictherapist.com)
- Music Therapy in Canada (topmusictherapist.com)
- Music Therapy and Disaster Recovery (topmusictherapist.com)
- Masters Level Entry Revisited (topmusictherapist.com)
- The Music Therapy Show with Barbara Wheeler (topmusictherapist.com)
- Music Therapy Webinars (topmusictherapist.com)